I believe we all know how important it is to see what’s in front of us. The numerous opportunities to be taken, people to be loved, and treasures to be dug. But there is actually something that is way more important than that. What actually makes us possible to enjoy all the features coming with life, is our body.
It makes everything possible. It is what drives us forward, and it is something we should cherish the most. Because without it, we can’t cherish anything in the end.
Our bodies are our best friends and our partners in life. It knows all our secrets, our desires, ambitions and dreams. And it is what will help us reach them.
And what do people do? We don’t see what is actually tangible, but rather look at something abstract, like our desires and urges. Actually we get so blinded with our abstract wishes, goals and destinations, that we totally forsake the one who is actually making it all happen.
Here are some points on how to cherish our bodies.
1. Listen to it. Really. We are lucky that we can feel the same what it feels. But we are dumb if we ignore the warning signs. If you are tired, rest and reflect. If you feel sick, do something about it. Your body is telling you that something is wrong. Your body is telling you that you are doing something wrong. Stop and reflect. Figure what you are doing wrong, and fix it.
2. No drastic changes. Even machines can’t work like that. Don’t incorporate dramatic changes in your lifestyle. If you have slept 10 hours each night, you can’t suddenly change it to 7 hours. Go slow, safe and smooth.
3. Don’t overwork it. You know what happens to your mobile-phone if you use it too long, too much? It gets heated. And you know what happens if it gets heated a lot? It gets broken. Deadlines and work is serious. But it will get more serious when you get sick. So get some rest in-between. Take a walk. Take a nap. Drink a cup of water, or tea. Anything. Just stand up and take your mind off the work or whatever you were doing when you feel you are tired.
4. Eat, a lot. Not in evenings before sleep. Eat, a lot, in the morning and throughout the day. It is what keeps us going. It is what is fueling us. The more you eat, the more energy you have. And the more energy you have, the more productive you can be. Don’t forget to eat fruits. And drink fluid, like water.
5. Exercise. You think you don’t have time? Don’t be silly. Exercise will make us healthier, and stronger, which naturally brings more energy to our daily lives. And you already read what energy means. Yes, more productivity. Twenty minutes is just fine. Morning, or evening, however it suits your day. Five times a week. Any exercise you want. Exercise until you sweat or it won’t count as an exercise. So use your twenty minutes effectively.
6. Take naps. Feel tired? Take a twenty minute nap. It does wonders. It works better if it is integrated into our daily schedule. For example, sleeping at 23:00, to 5:30, and then taking a nap at 13:00. It will replenish the energy for the rest of your day. Taking naps on evenings is risky because it can prove harder to fall asleep. But if you are very tired, a twenty minute nap won’t hurt. Or just drink a cup of tea in the evenings.
7. The obvious ones. Drinking. Smoking. Doing risky sports. Going to smoky environments. I don’t have to explain them, right?
8. Be thankful. That it is keeping you alive. That it is allowing you to live your life how you want. That you can draw, that you can play instruments, that you can write. You can create anything you want. Be thankful. That it lets you receive and share love. That you can get to know new people and hold your family and friends tight, because the body is letting you live. You can share your life with anyone you want.
9. Love it. It is the closest thing you will own. And it is also the best thing you will own. Our bodies and minds are the most complex and perfect creations. They have no limits. You have no limits thanks to it.
10. Realize. The bodies allow us to create and share. However complex or imaginative our worlds in our minds are. We can recreate it through our bodies. Whatever we dream about. We can make it a reality thanks to our bodies. And, whichever change we want to bring to the world. We can make it happen with our bodies. So realize the magical extent of our bodies, cherish it, appreciate it, love it and, use it for a better good.
Illustration by: artofmanliness